FC3rc1 disk one small

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 01:10:53 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 10:39, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>I've now downloaded al 4 iso's for rc1, including disk 1 twice.
>Unforch, while the Mozilla downloader thinks disk 1 is complete, the
>size of the disk 1 file as it shows it in its dl window is only
>156550 KB.  According to the MD5SUM file in that directory, there
>should be a dvd iso, but its not there, and the md5sum is correct.
>All 4 are correct in fact.
>
>However, says he, scratching head in puzzlement, an ls -l does show
> a nearly full cd's file size at 630525952 Oct 25 07:46
>FC3-i386-disc1.iso.  Methinks Mozilla has a bug or 2.  When dl'ing,
>the reported speeds exceeded my dsl bandwidth by about 50% too.
>
>The rescue iso is coming in now.  And at the correct 82KB/sec.
> Redhat must have put some bigger iron in that downloads box, I
> usually only get 3 to 15 KB/sec out of any redhat src machine, with
> long pauses in the data flow, presumably due to small pipes.
> Amazing, and kudo's to redhat for fixing that!  The srcs will be
> equally pleasureable to get at this rate.

However, to be honest about it, the http fetching is not working all
that well.  I have now downloaded the rescue and srcs disks several
times because they fail the md5sum testing on the first pass.

Is there a way to use an ftp client, specifically gftp to fetch this
stuff?  I can connect, but testing.fedora.redhat.com closes the
connection in just a second or so.

It (ftp) seems to be a much more robust protocol, it can restart from
the failure point etc, whereas any mistake in the http method
requires a full overwrite in order to restore, at least while using
Mozilla).  I've presently grabbing srcs disk 4 for the 3rd time ATM,
after having had to reget disks 2 and 3 one more time to get a good
checksum.  Thats 2200 megabytes I should have had the first time I
downloaded it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)