Netapplet

Andrew cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 26 16:45:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

> This is a (relatively) common use case for me.  I often need to connect
> my laptop to ad-hoc networks which do not have DHCP, hence I need to
> configure a static address, and static routes.  Currently I do this
> through the command-line, but it would be nice to do it using the GUI.

As an overall that goes for the wired network too.  Something called NetworkManager should handle location/profile managment as well.  If the wired network is selected (or is the only interface), then your choice of wired network profiles should show up, with a "New..." option at the end. There's a whole lot use cases there, but that should demonstrate.

> I understand that I am in a very small minority here, but this would be
> useful for people in a Field Engineer type role.

I am in that same minority !!

Thanks,

Andrew