Volume Control not working

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 14:14:38 UTC 2004

Asus A7N8X Deluxe (uses snd-intel8x0)

Back when volume controll offered both alsa and oss mixers - getting
sound out of my souncard was a sinch in the OSS mixer - but I never
could get the alsa mixer to work - even though OSS really used alsa or
whatever.

Now there is no OSS mixer in my sound control panel - and I can't get
sound to work.

With all due respect - the OSS mixer really is KISS compared to the
Alsa mixer - I do not like the alsa mixer, far too many controlls, and
if good documentation for those controls exist, I certainly don't know
where it is - it's not in the help tab for the Volume Control thingy.

I've tried turning PCM up - I put the maximum volume up - but I'm not
getting any sound output.

How the hell do I get my sound back? I really don't like it when I have
to fight with a system to do a simple task.