No sound on FC2 to FC3T3 update... artsd going nuts

Kim Lux (Mr.) lux at diesel-research.com
Wed Oct 27 15:55:31 UTC 2004

Sound doesn't work on my laptop with FC3T3. It did with FC2.

 Here is the vital info:

 On login I get this message:

 Sound server informational message:
 Error while initializing the sound driver:
 device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
 The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

 Sometimes after login I get this message:

 Sound server fatal error:
 cpu overload, aborting

 In hwbrowser I find:

 Sound cards: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
 Manufacturer: Unknown
 Driver: snd-intel8x0

 If I run system-config-sound:

 The following audio device was detected:
 <blurb here, same as hwbrowser>
 When I press "Play Test Sound" the application hangs.

 If I run tops, I find that artsd hogs the cpu cycles like crazy.

 In dmesg everything looks normal as far as errors go. There doesn't
appear to be a driver loaded for sound. Here is the only stuff I see
that might be related to sound:

 ICH5: chipset revision 2
 ICH5: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

 codec_read 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x2c
 codec_read 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x2c
 codec_read 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x2c
 codec_write 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x2
 codec_write 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x2
 codec_write 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x18
 codec_write 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x18

 All other logs are clean.

 In /etc, I have a asound.state and an alsa dir.

 asound.state looks normal and only contains stuff about mixer.

 asound.conf is not present.
 in /etc/alsa, I have alsa.conf. There is nothing special in it.

 /sbin/lsmod
 Module Size Used by
 parport_pc 24705 1
 lp 11565 0
 parport 41736 2 parport_pc,lp
 autofs4 24005 0
 i2c_dev 10433 0
 i2c_core 22081 1 i2c_dev
 ds 16965 2
 sunrpc 160421 1
 ipt_REJECT 6465 1
 ipt_state 1857 1
 ip_conntrack 40693 1 ipt_state
 iptable_filter 2753 1
 ip_tables 16193 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
 microcode 6497 0
 dm_mod 54741 0
 button 6481 0
 battery 8517 0
 ac 4805 0
 md5 4033 1
 ipv6 232577 10
 joydev 8705 0
 ohci1394 35033 0
 ieee1394 302869 1 ohci1394
 yenta_socket 18753 0
 pcmcia_core 59913 2 ds,yenta_socket
 uhci_hcd 31449 0
 ehci_hcd 31557 0
 hw_random 5589 0
 snd_intel8x0m 18185 0
 snd_intel8x0 34829 3
 snd_ac97_codec 64401 2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
 snd_pcm_oss 47609 0
 snd_mixer_oss 17217 1 snd_pcm_oss
 snd_pcm 97993 5 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
 snd_timer 29765 1 snd_pcm
 snd_page_alloc 9673 3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
 gameport 4801 1 snd_intel8x0
 snd_mpu401_uart 8769 1 snd_intel8x0
 snd_rawmidi 26725 1 snd_mpu401_uart
 snd_seq_device 8137 1 snd_rawmidi
 snd 54053 15 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_
oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uar
t,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
 soundcore 9889 1 snd
 ndiswrapper 114744 0
 8139too 26305 0
 mii 4673 1 8139too
 ext3 116809 2
 jbd 74969 1 ext3

 I figured out how to turn off aRts: Start->Control Center -> Sound and
Multi.->Sound System-> General. Turn off the "Enable the Sound System"
option.

 I also tried changing the audio device on the Hardware tab to alsa,
with no effect.

I've update to kernel 2.6.9-1.643 and I've updated alsa to 1.0.6-3.

Any advice ?  How do I troubleshoot this ?

--
Kim Lux (Mr.) <lux at diesel-research.com>