FC3rc2 - please test

Cristian Gafton gafton at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 18:19:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Carwyn Edwards wrote:

> >http://testing.fedora.redhat.com/tree/
> >
> >Mirror at http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/FC3-rc/3/
> >
> >This tree seeks your loving attention in installation and testing.
> >
> Is there any particular reason that this tree lives in a different
> location to the stable and development trees? (download.fedora.redhat.com)

Yes, at least 2 reasons:

a. download.fedora.redhat.com requires several days lead time to stage a
new tree on, plus additional days time to let the mirrors pull down the
bits.  Pushing an RC tree to download.fedora would effectively create a
*lot* of mirror traffic instead of making bits accessible immediately to
those intersted.

b. We're testing a new configuration for the backend stuff on
testing.fedora.redhat.com and an RC tree looked like an ideal candidate.

So, in essence, you're not only testing the software, you're also testing
the new configuration for the infrastructure. I'm experimenting on y'all.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton     --     gafton at redhat.com      --     Red Hat, Inc.
"Linux is a leprosy; and is having a deleterious effect on the U.S. IT
industry because it is steadily depreciating the value of the software
industry sector."
    -- Kenneth Brown, President, Alexis de Tocqueville Institution