FC3 rc2 issues

Kim Lux (Mr.) lux at diesel-research.com
Wed Oct 27 19:08:27 UTC 2004

I ran into a similar situation when I upgraded from FC2 to FC3T3.  When
I first logged in the CDROM was inaccessible and accessing it froze file
manager.  I got around this problem by removing entries in fstab,
automount and disabling the session manager from restoring previous
sessions.  (It would try to mount the cdrom.)

My drive is an IDE, not scsi and I'm not using scsi emulation, although
I might want to to make cdparanoia work better (faster.)

Once I disabled the mentioned settings, Linux correctly sensed and
operated the drive.  I believe my drive is mounted in /media as dvdcdrom
or something like that as well as /dev/hdc.  I've got my system set so
that unmounted partitions appear on the desktop.  I then right click,
mount and access the drive.  It works well.  BTW: It would be nice in
KDE to differentiate between unmounted CDROM partitions and unmounted
hard drive partitions.

With the fstab entry from fc2 left in place, accessing the drive gave a
"Device busy" error.

I still get the occasional error (can't umount) when ejecting or
unmounting, but for the most part it works well.  If I get stuck, I
issue a umount -f or a umount -l and it seems to fix everything.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.) <lux at diesel-research.com>