Request for a way to hide backup files.

Kim Lux (Mr.) lux at diesel-research.com
Wed Oct 27 19:49:00 UTC 2004

Here is another thought about backup files: I wish they moved with the
parent file when the parent file is moved.

For example: my wife used my session the other day to record a recipe
for Yam Casseroles from her friend.  I didn't lock down my terminal !
So, I've got "Yam Casserole" on my desktop.  (And its backup.)

I dislike it on my desktop, so I move it to a folder.  She uses my
terminal again and opens the file and edits it.  We've now got a second
copy of Yam Casserole backup.  My wife asks me to email it to her.  I
do.  She opens her email on my computer in her session this time.  She
opens Yam Casserole and edits it.  We've now got a 3rd copy of the Yam
Casserole backup !  The things multiply !

Now what if she loses her copy of Yam Casserole and asks me if there is
a backup ? Lets say she can't remember where she last used it.  I have
to search all of my dirs and all of her dirs to find all the versions of
the Yam Casserole backups and then get the latest one.  I think this is
a bit of a pain.

I think the current backup file usage was great back in the day when
files didn't move around a lot and everything was displayed with ls.
(You could use -B as someone pointed out.)  With desktops and file
managers and data sharing like it is today, I think it might be time to
improve how backups are handled.

I'll shut up now !  Thanks for listening.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.) <lux at diesel-research.com>