Fedora 3 Test 3: X displays rubbish on Fujitsu Siemens Scenic xB (Intel 810)

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vR at movingparts.net
Thu Oct 28 10:36:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 03:29 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:06 +0200, Jörn Rink wrote:
> > Hi,
> > the test 2 and 3 are not able to display a correct
> > desktop. Windows are displayed, but not refreshed, menues are only
> > displayed, when the mousepointer gets over it.
> >
> > I use a stanard anaconda Pers Desk. Installation with automatic
> > generated Xorg.config.
> >
> >  CU
> >
> > --
> > Nine (not 9)
> > Never trust a hippie
>
> There have been several kernel bugs involving i810 graphics in the
> previous months.  The release candidate posted below has a much more
> recent kernel than test3, try it out and report back to bugzilla or the
> list.  I hope it works for you.. but if not it would be good to report
> it.

With all of the test releases for fc3, and continuing with rc2, I see
weird font artifacts in gvim and openoffice, most noticeably.  They may
happen elsewhere, but I can't think of where off the top of my head.
http://bbkeys.sourceforge.net/images/screenshot-gvim-funkyfonts.jpg
shows an example of gvim doing something weird with the fonts.  This
happens if I delete a line, for example, and then scroll down with the j
or down key.  Here's an example of openoffice's weird font problems--
this is just the menu, but the text inside of a document does the same
kind of thing:  http://bbkeys.sourceforge.net/images/screenshot-ooffice-
funkyfonts.jpg

Is this what the original poster is talking about, or is this something
else entirely?

My hardware is an IBM A31 laptop with a Radeon 7500 card with a "ICH3M:
IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1".

--

 `
 ,