Upgrade FC2 to FC3 with yum

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 29 04:05:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 14:11 +0000, aldo santini wrote:
> It is posible to upgrade my Fedora Core 2 to FC3 using yum?

I've done a test upgrade of this but there are a few kinks to work out
in the process. I think 90% of the problem comes from the dev->udev
migration playing hell with devices. I'll have more information after
tomorrow or the weekend.

Right now the process is:

- download yum from fc3rc/rawhide
- download fedora-release from rawhide
- install the gpg keys for fc3 to your rpmdb
  rpm --import url://of/your/gpgkeys
- update both by hand:
  rpm -Uvh yum-* fedora-release*
- check your repository configuration in /etc/yum.conf and in
  /etc/yum.repos.d to make sure you have the repositories you want,
  configured.
- check to make sure everything is working correctly, run:
  yum list updates
- You should see a huge number of packages in need of an update go by.
- Do the upgrade itself. Run:
  yum upgrade

The problems I've found so far:

- dev->udev upgrade makes it impossible to open a new terminal
- it's possible the network devices are not recovering on reboot - not
sure why quite yet.
- I'm going to try and break it down a bit and upgrade in smaller chunks
to make it less oppressive to wait through that many packages being
updated.

I'm sure there will be other problems.

-sv