FC3rc5

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Fri Oct 29 23:02:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 01:49 +0300, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Kim Lux kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 30.
> lokakuuta 2004 01:37):
> > To me, "support" means that when I ask for advice and tell
> > someone that my installation was an upgrade they don't laugh
> > at me and tell me to uninstall and reinstall fresh.  That is a
> > Windows concept, not the sort of attitude we can have with
> > servers and workstation machines.
>
> You should not install test releases to production servers or
> workstations in the first place. A Fedora Core test release is
> _not_ "the latest bleeding edge distro" for your machine, it's
> meant for TESTING! In order to meaningfully test a piece of
> software the system must be in a known state, so you must be
> prepared to freshly install the test system at any time.

When installed from an upgrade, it is in a known state: it is an
update !  Updates have to work too.

I agree that some testing has to take place from fresh installs to
eliminate variables, but as far as I am concerned, once it hits freeze,
it should be tested on at least a 50-50 mix of fresh and upgrades.

As far as using test releases for work, it has to be done to get
meaningful usage.  Do you want the first people using FC3 in work
conditions to be the unknowledgable "which button do I push" end users ?
I hope not.

I turned in a number of bug reports today (8), probably because I've
been working on FC3T3 full time for about a week now.  I back everything
up to a USB drive almost hourly and run a tar of /home at the end of
every day.

BTW: If we really feel that FC3rc3 is "final" next week, I'd like to
challenge us to a little test: lets all install FC3 final and use it for
a week or two before advertising it to the public.  Call it "post final
testing".  How many new issues do you think we would turn up in those
two weeks of "real" use ?  Furthermore, some of us will be updating
machines from various other RH/FC OSes.  How many issues do you think
that process will turn up ?

We used to call this "real world" testing and software isn't ready to
ship until that is done.