Saving Home Directory And Other Settings

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 30 18:32:37 UTC 2004

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Graydon wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:09:29PM -0400, Robert L Cochran scripsit:
>>

>>> I'm downloading RC5 at this time and should have the DVD in a few
>>> more hours. I'd like to do a fresh install of RC5, but for once
>>> don't want to lose my home directory stuff especially my Mozilla
>>> mail folders and filters. What is a good way to save these? Just tar
>>> up the .mozilla directory and copy it somewhere, restoring it after
>>> the install? (Will  Mozilla insist on setting up a new profile, or
>>> will it use an existing
>>> profile if found?)
>>>

>> It will use the existing profile if found.
>>
>> However, why not keep /home on its own partition, and just not reformat
>> it when you do the install?  That way you keep everything.
>>
>> This is what I do, and it works fine; I don't know what 'automatically
>> partition' does (I've never used it :) but DiskDruid certainly gives you
>> the option to leave a partition untouched. ("preserve data")
>>

> The lightbulb goes on now! Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Bob

I used to use this technique.  However, I found that when updating, much
of the configuration information in my home directory conflicted with
changes in the new software.  Now, I use a separate partition called
/lnxdata in my case to contain all of my personal data.  I make a link
to this in my home directory.  I can share this partition among multiple
versions of Linux.  Currently I have FC1, FC2, FC3RC3 in use and they
all mount this partition for access to my data files.  Rather than
update, I save any important directories like e-mail messages,
bookmarks, etc. from my home directory, just do a fresh install and let
the configuration stuff in my home directory be deleted, allowing fresh
configurations for the new installed versions.

Gerry Tool