Should Fedora rpms be signed? Yes...resign and rsync...

Matias Féliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Sat Oct 30 19:31:22 UTC 2004

Le samedi 30 octobre 2004 à 12:31 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz a écrit :
> On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 12:57 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:
> > The problem is that all changed rpm would be check again at the next
> > invocation of rsync. When there is about 1 Go of unsigned rpm, this mean
> > that the client _and_ the server should read 1 Go of data (even if a
> > small part of the data have changed). The mirror don't like this.
> >

> I'm going to assume that you mean "1GB" (as in gigabyte) since I have no
> idea what a "Go" is.

Go : Gigaoctet.
It's universally used in french :-)
octet = byte

>  That being said, one of the beauties of rsync is
> that it will *not* need to reread the entire file;

It need if date/size don't correspond in the client and server.
It also write the entire file. Check "--inplace" option (introduced in
rsync V2.6.3).

>  it will find the
> changed parts and only transfer those. There may be a small penalty

Small penalty transfer. But reading 1 Go^UGB of data is a big penalty.

> , but
> certainly not rereading the whole file.

How rsync know where the file has changed if it don't read the entire
file ?

One solution is to use "--ignore-existing" (not suitable with "--inplace").
But sometimes Red Hat sign packages after they had introduce the package
in Rawhide.