RC5 x86_64 DVD boot problems

Jurgen Kramer gtm.kramer at inter.nl.net
Sun Oct 31 00:53:52 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 18:32 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Jurgen Kramer wrote:
>
> >I can't seem to get my system to boot from
> >the FC3 RC5 x86_64 DVD. The MD5SUM checks out out fine. Is
> >this a known issue? Any way to boot from the DVD or is
> >this 2.5G wasted?
> >
> >Nb this is on a new EM64T system. Booting from the FC2 i386 DVD is not a
> >problem.
> >
> >Jurgen
> >

> Did you set your BIOS to boot from the DVD device first?

Yes I did. It boots just fine from the boot.iso burned to a CDR but it
will not boot from the DVD directly.

> If yes, and you verified this is so, please give more specific
> information. What motherboard and chipset? What CPU?

Motherboard: Asus NCT-D with BIOS v1.05 (latest)
Chipset: Intel E7525/6300ESB
CPU: Dual 2.8GHz nocona Xeon EM64T (stepping EO)
Mem: 1G DD2 reg. ECC

> Bob Cochran
> Greenbelt, Maryland

I think I found a way around the problem. If I point the installer
from the boot.iso to a NFS drive where the original DVD iso resides it will
start the installer. Really cool feature..

So although DVD booting doesn't work I think I will be able to install
FC3 on my x86_64.

Thanks,

Jurgen