Missing in action...

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 1 21:27:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > module-init-tools is busted. Luckily yum doesn't implement clean yet so
> > if you go to /var/cache/yum/development/packages and install
> > module-init-tools-3.0-2 (rpm -Uvh --oldpackage), you can get a little
> > further. Then you run into /dev/input/mice missing and X not starting.
>
> Is that the one you fix in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If it is, can some kind
> soul please remind me what I need to do get that to work - it's been
> ages since moving to xorg-x11 and I can't remember.

Changing /dev/input/mice to /dev/mouse0 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf appears
to fix this problem for me (with kernel-538) .  Don't know if this is
a temporary breakage or a permanant change.

I get the gdm login but when attempting login - it goes into a blank
(blue) screen and does nothing (mouse is active)

There were a bunch of other messages on the screen with pcmcia_cs -
when booted to init 3, without rhgb.

cs: warning: no high memory space available!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!

But my pcmcia network card works.

And the following (with both init 3 & 5):

-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

I'm reverting to kernel-533 (I had earlier backrolled initscripts &
module-init-tools)

Satish