lots of brokenness (was: Re: module-init-tools-3.0-2.i386.rpm)

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Sep 2 06:05:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 19:55, Paul wrote:

[snip]

> Now, the question which needs to be asked is how did something as bust
> as module-init-tools and the current xorg manage to escape?

  A lot seems busted lately.  Kernels 532, 533, and 535 all paniced on
me eventually, but I've had no chance to bugzilla anything due some
other busy-ness (fighting the good fight against the whole Sender-ID
patent crap).
  Seems that udev isn't starting in the right place, or something
related to that.  I'm getting permission errors on /dev/null (!),
non-existant /dev/microcode and other madness.  I think I finally have a
stable kernel, but I'll need to let it run (really, limp along with the
other problems it has) for a while to see how stable the kernel is.
  I downgraded initscripts and it didn't solve my (seemingly) udev
problems.  Anyone know if installing module-init-tools-3.0-2 will fix
this?  If so, I guess I'll have to hunt down a copy.
  As an upside, once I get X up and running on my i810, it seems to work
just fine.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator