kernel/mkinitrd udpate broken? [Was: Missing in action...] (fwd)

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 08:44:37 UTC 2004

Hi,

> Basically, there are multiple breakages in the latest updates.
>
> Don't lose your old rpms.

Never have I seen better advice!

Thank goodness for the machines in my house being networked and for
zipdrives!

How I managed to get things working last night...

1. Found neat is currently broken on the laptop, so can't fix the DNS
(dunno why, my machines can't pick the DNS up from the router, so have
to be set statically - but go to my Dads, and it's just picked up!)
2. ssh to my son's FC2 box
3. lynx to my the kernel archives to get hold of rusty's module-init-
tools.
4. ftp from son's box to laptop
5. find laptop's CDRW is not recognised by k3b (it's a dual DVD player,
CDRW). dig out zip drive which has been not touched in years. plug in,
load imm.o, mount the disc. worked.
6. copied m-i-t to the disc, transfered to the main box. main box
doesn't recognise the zip drive, so had to mount by hand
7. compiled m-i-t, make links, make, make install, reboot.
8. okay, that's a bit better, but still no network and the desktop is
messed up (home directory has vanished as has most of my menu icons)
9. connect to the laptop to find m-i-t-3.0-2 as an rpm.
10. download to son's machine, ftp to laptop, laptop to zip, zip to
other box.
11. removed all traces of the self compiled version.
12. rpm -ihv --oldpackage m-i-t-3.0-2.*
13. reboot
14. wild cheers that I've managed to get my box online.
15. cursed the air blue that I'd wasted an hour or so fixing this
problem and wondering how xorg-x11 and the other problems in yesterday's
updates had evaded RHs usually very high QC. I know I'm running rawhide,
but to reduce me to XP SP2 standards is a bit much. Odd thought appears,
maybe RH are trying to make me thankful for having such a usually
utterly amazingly reliable system by showing me how bad the quality can
be on the side of the borg...

I'm not going to update the laptop until the xorg and m-i-t problems are
sorted. Can't afford to lose another night's worth of development as I
did yesterday.

TTFN

Paul
--
"If I face my God tomorrow, I can tell Him I am innocent.
I've never harmed anyone. I have cheated no one.