Problem with today's "yum update"

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Sep 5 09:50:37 UTC 2004

On Sunday 05 September 2004 00:55, Scott Talbot wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 23:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 04 September 2004 12:33, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
>> >yum --obsolete update
>>
>> after putting in yum-2.1.3 with rpm after downloading it, I get
>> this: [root at coyote packages]# yum --obsolete update
>> Setting up Update Process
>> Setting up Repo:  updates-released
>> repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>> Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: updates-released
>> failure: repodata/repomd.xml from updates-released: [Errno 256] No
>> more mirrors to try.
>
> Did you mean to send this to the test-list?  I don't believe that
>YUM-2.1.3 is ready for FC2 yet.  If you're on test 1 though:

Duh!  I'm subbed to both, and sort them to a common mailbox, sorry.

> Did you perhaps use a non - standard yum-conf ?

I put my repo list back in place after the 2.1.3 install overwrote it.

>recently YUM has gone through some changes and in order for a mirror
> to be useful, it must change the structure a little.  One is the
> addition of the repomd.xml (I guess that is the repository
> maintenance data?) anyway the only mirror usable right now is:

I went after 2.1.3 because of so many messages about 2.1.2 being
fubar, and my own FC2 2.0.7 had quit working, always exiting with a
library not available to upgrade samba.  So samba is half busted
here, I can mount my old 7.3 firewalls drives, but the firewall
cannot mount my drives, something about the security model changing.
As this was quite some time back, I haven't been able to use the yum
util to keep the system up2date in a couple of months.

So what version of yum should I have installed and *working* on an FC2
system?

>[development]
>name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
>baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/deve
>lopment/$basearch/

Which is the wrong branch for me, my bad.  And I should seperate these
lists into their own folder, but kmails folder list is more than
screen high now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)