make yum.conf do a user ftp login for baseurl

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Sep 5 17:48:21 UTC 2004

Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> writes:

>> Tom wrote:
>> > How about something like this: ftp://username:your_passwd@ftp.yoursite.com/$releasever
>>
>> That might work if the ftp server was a real IP on the internet but
>> addresses like ftp://... don't seem to work inside my non resolvalbe
>> lan.
>
> Even if you do not have a nameserver running, if you have entries in /etc/hosts this
> should work. Something else sounds weird here.

I've never seen that to be true here.

my /etc/hosts on remote client has:
--
192.168.0.4     reader.local.net0    reader   # fedcore3 t1
--

ftp reader.local.net0
works as expected for anonymous login and

However:

ftp ftp://reader.local.net0  gives me:

  [root at expfc cf]# ftp ftp://reader.local.net0
ftp: ftp://reader.local.net0: Name or service not known
ftp>

while:
 ftp reader.local.net0
Connected to reader.local.net0 (192.168.0.4).
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1)
Name (reader.local.net0:reader):

Connects as expected.

I see something I hadn't noticed here today.  ncftp can do what I
wanted ... so its apparently a shortcoming of the standard ftp client.
 (password obscured for posting)
  ncftp ftp://reader:xxxxxxx@reader.local.net0:~/no_bak/fedraw

does connect as expected.

But `ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0:~/no_bak/fedraw
used as baseurl in yum.conf fails:

   yum list updates
  Yum Version: 2.1.3
  COMMAND: yum list updates
  Installroot: /
  Reading Local RPMDB
  Setting up Repo:  development
  Baseurl(s) for repo: ['ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0:~/no_bak/fedraw']
  repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
  Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: development
  failure: repodata/repomd.xml from development: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.