make yum.conf do a user ftp login for baseurl

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Mon Sep 6 03:54:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> writes:
>
> >> If I put a symlink to fedraw in /var/www/html then:
> >>  http://reader.local.net0/fedraw
> >>
> >> Works fine and hits my repo.
> >>
> >> So it appears this problem occurs only with authenticating type urls.
> >> And maybe even only when using ftp.
> >
> > Hummm, just a guess but try using ftp:// path. You get a 404 with http
> > because it is not in the document root of the web server. The symlink fixes
> > that. The web browser knows what to do with ftp:// type url's. BTW: yum will
> > follow symlinks just fine also. I have numerous local repos symlinked
> > together.
>
> Yup using ftp:// and the authenticating url blazes right thru using
> mozilla.  I guess that means it is a bug in yum... yes?

Anytime I have cut and pasted the url out of the yum.conf file and mozilla
could find the repo yum could too. So it sure sounds like like a yum bug to
me, but I am not a python programmer. :-)

> I have this same issue posed on the yum list, so maybe someone there
> will know about what the urlgrabber thingy in yum is supposed to do
> with a url like that.  I think your test is sort of indicative though.

Yes, I saw the post. Seth and or one of the other yum developers will
most likely comment on this when they get a chance. I have not tried the
new version of yum yet. I am kind of waiting for the dust to settle.

> Just an aside here.  I new earlier today I had gotten to those
> directories with mozilla and an authenticating url, but when I went
> back to try it again I forgot it had been by using an ftp url as
> you suggest, so for a while here I was starting to get that `I know
> I'm not crazy' syndrome when I couldn't get it to work again.

:-))

Tom