OpenOffice i18n is 790MB on disk

richard mullens mullens at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 8 00:59:13 UTC 2004

Scott Talbot wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 09:01 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
>
>>While test installing FC3-re0903.0-i386, I noticed that
>>openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-3.i386.rpm is 125MB on CD-ROM
>>or 790MB on disk, which is about 1/4 of the total 3007MB
>>disk space required for a Workstation install.  Thus it is
>>the leading option to delete in order to conserve space
>>using a custom install.  Supposedly US English still works
>>without this package.  (And it would be nice if there were
>>an option to select just a few of the dozens of languages
>>included in i18n.)
>>
>>--
>>John Reiser, jreiser at BitWagon.com
>>

>Has anyone tried deleting the openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-3 rpm?  I would
>expect that it would not be updated anymore as it's not on the system.
>Unfortunately this would only work for US-Eng users, but I'd bet it
>wouldn't be too hard to make rpm's or even tarballs of the other
>languages.  Maybe someone could talk livna or Dag into putting them on
>their servers?  Even better OOorg themselves could be made to see the
>light?

Disk space costs money and it takes time to install languages that won't
be needed.
However, I like the feeling that I am part of a global collaborative
effort and there are times when
those accented and non european language characters etc will come in useful.

I say keep it all together in pursuit of a common understanding between
peoples - this is the enlightened
way !