OpenOffice i18n is 790MB on disk

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 9 11:05:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 18:21 -0700, Scott Talbot wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 09:01 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > While test installing FC3-re0903.0-i386, I noticed that
> > openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-3.i386.rpm is 125MB on CD-ROM
> > or 790MB on disk, which is about 1/4 of the total 3007MB
> > disk space required for a Workstation install.  Thus it is
> > the leading option to delete in order to conserve space
> > using a custom install.  Supposedly US English still works
> > without this package.  (And it would be nice if there were
> > an option to select just a few of the dozens of languages
> > included in i18n.)

> Has anyone tried deleting the openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-3 rpm?  I would
> expect that it would not be updated anymore as it's not on the system.
> Unfortunately this would only work for US-Eng users, but I'd bet it
> wouldn't be too hard to make rpm's or even tarballs of the other
> languages.  Maybe someone could talk livna or Dag into putting them on
> their servers?  Even better OOorg themselves could be made to see the
> light?

I have deleted the openoffice.org-i18n package from my laptop, and yes
English appears to work fine.

IMO, the correct way to handle the openoffice.org-i18n package is to
properly identify each language within the rpm spec file, so that one
can use the %_install_langs rpm macro (in ~/.rpmmacros, for instance) to
limit exactly which languages get installed, without having to break
each language into a separate rpm file. For instance, setting the macro
to just "en:C" will only install files for the en and C locales (and
sub-locales such as "en_GB"). This works to limit, for example, the
locale files installed by glibc-common.

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>