kernel 541 ext3 errors: Unknown symbol journal_force_commit

Marcos A. Mondragon marcmo at foxriver.com
Fri Sep 10 13:53:22 UTC 2004

Hello,

I've been getting these sort of errors for all of the recent FC3 test1/2
kernels.  I can get around it by compiling ext3 and jbd into the kernel
but I would think that this should work as a module.  I've tried using
the --with=jbd when building the initrd image but I still haven't been
able to get it to work.  I'm looking for a clue here (be nice).

My machine spec's are:

MSI K8N Neo
nforce3-250 chipset
AMD64 CPU
1 GB RAM
SATA Drive

Here's a snippet of the capture from the Serial Console:

Red Hat nash version 4.1.10 starting
ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty0 console=ttyS0
Mounted /proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs
Creating /dev
Starting udev
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_force_commit
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_dirty_data
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_force_commit_nested
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_init_dev
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_dirty_metadata
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_forget
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_wipe
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_blocks_per_page
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_errno
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_extend
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_invalidatepage
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_create
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_unlock_updates
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_revoke
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_lock_updates
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_start_commit
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_flush
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_load
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_try_to_free_buffers
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_update_format
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_get_write_access
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_get_undo_access
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_get_create_access
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_destroy
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_clear_err
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_stop
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_init_inode
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_start
ext3: Unknown symbol log_wait_commit
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_release_buffer
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_check_available_features
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_abort
ext3: Unknown symbol journal_restart
insmod: error inserting '/lib/ex t3.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
Creating root device
mkrootdev: label / not found
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 19 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

Thanks,

Marc Mondragon

Fox River Financial Resources/Ritchie Capital Investments, Ltd.
2100 Enterprise Avenue
Geneva, IL  60134
marcmo at foxriver.com