The MySQL question.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Sep 11 01:21:33 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 20:00, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Fre, 2004-09-10 at 17:50 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > > - MySQL has a fine grained access control

> > How fine do you need?

> No, but I doubt that you can restrict a user to read-only access of
> single column.

> > Major is like 7.2 to 7.3.  PostgreSQL's versioning is more like the Linux
> > kernel than other packages in versioning.  Even then, the Slony
> > replication engine allows you to replicate to a newer version and keep
> > both up and running concurrently.

> Please correct me if I am wrong but I consider 7 to be the current major
> and 4 to be the current minor version.

Is this true with the Linux kernel?  I consider 2.6 to be a major version over
2.4.  2.6.8 is a minor version over 2.6.7.  This is the way the PostgreSQL
developers (of whom I am one) number it.

> But even when stepping from 7.4.x
> to 7.4.2 the PostgreSQL developers recommend a dump/restore cycle.

Nope.  You can do it, but it's never been 'recommended' to do.  If you make a
copy of the data tree you're pretty safe, since any 7.4.x is binary format
compatible with any 7.4.y.

> AFAIK PostgreSQL is licensed as GPL with no exceptions, so it is a
> problem for commercial applications.

PostgreSQL is, has been, and likely will always be BSD licensed.  No problems
for anyone.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology