dev-3.12-1

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Sat Sep 11 16:20:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Sa, den 11.09.2004 schrieb Paul um 12:11:
>
> > Just another little one. dev-3.12-1 doesn't seem to be installable. All
> > I get when I try to install it is that mounted devfs detected.
> >
> > Any way around this?
>
> See:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-September/msg00482.html
>
> User vcsa with UID 69 did already exist on my system.

The problem with this solution is that you aren't actually installing the
files on a real partition, so they will all vanish when you next reboot -
which is why the pre-script stops you installing dev in the first place.

So the real solution is to ignore the reports that dev is out of date
until the dev versus udev situation is finalized. If you appear to be
missing files in /dev, have a look at how udev manages such files.

	Michael Young