dev-3.12-1

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Sep 11 16:33:10 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 12:19:53PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:14:26 -0600, Michal Jaegermann
> <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> > Running updates with a file system of tmpfs type mounted on /dev
> > does not make any sense as after a reboot all changes, with an
> > exception of modifications to rpm data bases, will vanish but you
> > can obviously force the issue by using an '--noscripts' option to
> > rpm.
>
> my understanding is the tmpfs is being used only my initrd and not
> being used for /dev/ once the real system boots up.

If we are going into details that would depend on what is in
/etc/udev/udev.conf, I guess.  On a system I happen to have here
right now "grep ' /dev ' /proc/mounts" shows

none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0

Twice because something probably forgot to 'pivot_root' pieces
of initrd; which is not nice.  So, unless /proc/mounts is totally
confused, this looks like a memory based file system.

   Michal