dev-3.12-1

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Sat Sep 11 23:18:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 12:19 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:14:26 -0600, Michal Jaegermann
> <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> > Running updates with a file system of tmpfs type mounted on /dev
> > does not make any sense as after a reboot all changes, with an
> > exception of modifications to rpm data bases, will vanish but you
> > can obviously force the issue by using an '--noscripts' option to
> > rpm.
>
> my understanding is the tmpfs is being used only my initrd and not
> being used for /dev/ once the real system boots up.

from /etc/udev/udev.conf
# udev_root - where in the filesystem to place the device nodes
udev_root="/dev/"

# if tmpfs should be mounted over the udev_root
# automatically yes, if UDEV_KEEP_DEV=yes and UDEV_INITRD=yes
UDEV_TMPFS="yes"

# if udev should be used in initrd
UDEV_INITRD="yes"

# if the initrd tmpfs udev_root should be used
UDEV_KEEP_DEV="yes"

If I'm understanding this correctly, UDEV_KEEP_DEV="yes" means the tpmfs
mounted over udev root (in this case /dev) which is use in the initrd
remains mounted when the "real system" boots up.

--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>