HELP! I have no sound on my machine!

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 12:11:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

My computer has gone completely silent and it's *very* annoying!

gnome-volumecontrol says that there are no sound or mixers on the
machine
system-config-soundcard is giving me python errors

When I've run /sbin/fixfiles relabel it is coming back with the
following files being missing (all in /udev)

audio, dsp, fd0, loop0 - loop7, mixer

If I run without selinux enabled, dsp is symlinked to /udev/audio/dsp,
but still no sound

In /etc/modprobe.conf the sound card appears

If I run /sbin/lsmod I can see all of the sound modules have been loaded

Now the fun part. If xmms runs, I'm not getting any error at all to say
the soundcard has been blocked or not there.

Anyone got any ideas on what can be causing the problem or if there is a
config file anywhere which I can alter to get some noise going (manually
set the volume controls sort of thing).

I have both an intel8x0 onboard sound and Soundblaster Audigy card (set
as the primary sound device) on this box.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our