Crazy question regarding refresh and X

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Mon Sep 13 03:38:22 UTC 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 19:27, Jim Cornette wrote:

> At least I'm learning a bit about what certain settings do and
> how important setting a few numbers can bring down X or make it
> work properly.

Same here... heh... more than I was hoping for to be sure, but, it's
all fun.

> Both the man and info pages are useful for the i810 driver to
> some extent. Examples and specific information on the functions
> of commands might have been explained a bit better for the
> general users.
>
> I found interesting the information about the module used for
> your particular setup. This would give me away for running a
> tainted version. This was before the 24 depth setting restored
> functionality for the stock binaries that were compiled for this
> version of X.
>
> To clarify things to me, are you getting the refresh problem with
> setting to 24 depth? This sounds reverse to my situation.

Yes, the "16 Bit, DRI=yes" mode is my best mode and what I've been
using exclusively for the past week or so.  It's been that long
since I tried 24 Bit mode and I was rather surprised to find a
problem with it yesterday.  I suspect something's changed with the
latest version, or two, of Xorg-X11* as I was using 24 Bit a few
weeks ago off and on just to check the performance differences
between the two modes.

> As a note: I added the DRI option to the xorg.conf file and am
> going to see if this allows me to see what DRI enabling will do
> at 16 depth on this computer.

I saw your notes on the freedesktop.org/bugzilla/ bugs.  Pretty
darned messed up, isn't it?

Regards, Mike Klinke