Relationship between /dev and /udev

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Sep 13 17:18:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:37:58PM -0400, Robert Couture wrote:

> Speaking of /udev I have the package intsalled, but I only have a /dev
> and no /udev

There is no /udev.  The conversation is about 'dev' and 'udev'
packages.  If you installed the later, and you _started it_, then you
are using 'udev'; otherwise this is 'dev'.

In practical terms, and for Fedora test installations,  if
'/proc/mounts' shows that something is mounted on /dev, and you see
there only "some" devices instead of "the whole pile of these just
in case", then you are using 'udev' as opposed to a "regular"
'/dev/' tree you had for years.

There is quite a bit of documentation in /usr/share/doc/udev-*
which explains a number of things.

   Michal