Obtaining 2.6.8-1.541 source code

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 14 16:26:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 01:47, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Heck, I'm using a Windows driver binary to talk to the builtin wireless
> interface. The linuxant drivers are the least of my worries ;)
>
> As I see it, Linuxant are doing me a favour by letting me use the OS of
> my choice on the hardware of my choice, despite the recalcitrance of a
> couple of hardware vendors (well, just Intel actually, since they make
> both the modem and the wireless hardware).

Hang on here - you're saying Intel made the modem and the wireless
interface? I really thought that the only modems Intel made were the
ones built into the southbridge (AC-97 modems which should work with the
ALSA drivers) and, perhaps more importantly, that the only wireless
cards they made were the ones that are part of the Centrino package?
(Actually I think I've heard of a standalone card which is actually
based on the same wireless chipset as the Centrino on-board one but with
a different model number, but whatever...) In any case, the Centrino
wireless does have native Linux drivers nowadays, there are supposedly
functional drivers both for the IPW2100 (802.11b) and IPW2200 (80211g).
Check out http://ipw2100.sf.net and http://ipw2200.sf.net if you
actually have a Centrino notebook; also, there are bound to be RPMs for
the drivers around if you want (don't have a Centrino so I haven't
checked, but I bet someone is going to answer this post, or just search
the mailing list archives...)

I don't necessarily like everything Intel does, but in the wireless
business they have turned around (after some initial reluctance) and
become model citizens of the Linux community!

Cheers,
Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University