Obtaining 2.6.8-1.541 source code

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 23:21:53 UTC 2004

>Not possible. Some rpms try to change owners and permisssions on the
>installed files, and will fail if not run as root.

These are broken. I have submitted patch after patch to fix every one of them
that I can find. If you know of any, please let me know (off the list) and I will
personally put the patch into bugzilla.

You should never ever build rpms as root. Your whole box can be messed up by one
bad package. Most rpms in fedora are in good shape, its the little used ones you
download from somebody's homepage that is most likely to give you a bad day.

Who cares what acct kernel source is under? You should always install it fresh
when you are building and then delete it. If you really care about security, you
won't install it to /usr/src anyways, you tweak your %_topdir variable in
.rpmmacros in your home directory (not the /usr/lib/rpm/rpmmacros) to point to a
place within your home directory. You should never use /usr/src for any serious
work. Problem solved.

-Steve Grubb