Obtaining 2.6.8-1.541 source code

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 15 01:05:05 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:
  > The default, it turns out is bad (and basically there due to a long
> legacy). What you want to do is set up a buildtree in your own home
> directory -- there's excellent instructions here:
> <http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/>. Then, install the source RPM
> *not as root*, and edit the spec file to include your local patches, and
> rebuild. Voila, a new binary RPM kernel package which you can install.

Thanks - the part I had no idea about was how the source RPM worked.
Your instructions above filled that gap.

Although it looks like the ipw2200 driver is getting close enough to
fully functional that I could use that instead of the NDIS driver (last
time I looked at ipw2200 was a few months ago, at which point they
barely had it talking to the hardware).

Who knows - by the time FC3 proper comes around, the kernel might have
native 2200BG support :)

Cheers,
Nick.