i2o - problems with controllers with additional memory (from fedora-list)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 09:46:56 UTC 2004

Dave wrote:

> The controller had 128Mb SDRAM memory module on board, I removed this
> module and replaced the standard 32Mb module the board would normally
> ship with, and the kernel was able to correctly load the module.
>
> The kernel used was 2.6.8-1.541 - I'm aware there is a slightly more
> recent 2.6.8-1.549 kernel outside of the development download, but
> wasn't going to expend the effort of rebuilding a boot CD from scratch.
>
> Ironically even Redhat 7.3 manages to detect and handle the controller
> with 128Mb in without issue (2.4 kernels' dpt_i2o). You'll be glad to
> know that anaconda in rawhide does detect the controller without the
> i2o_proc hoopla, though. =)

Yes, the latest upstream kernel now provides suitable /sys entries
implemented by Markus, and Jeremy wrote the kudzu hooks for anaconda's
partition detection.  Seems to work great so far.

> I realise FC3 Test 2 was delayed, are there any i2o or ioremap changes
> pending that will allow me to use the controller with the larger memory
> module present?
>
> I guess Warren is best placed to answer this - I do now have the
> controller working with 32Mb, but I'm willing to cooperate with any
> testing the i2o on linux team might want, if only out of curiosity. The
> controller works on the 2.4 kernel and *cough* other operating systems
> without issue, so it would be nice to see the 2.6 kernel also handling
> this correctly. There's also a second 128Mb module here if anyone feels
> like seeing what 256Mb will do, probably with FC2 and an updated kernel
> rather than Rawhide now, though. =)

Interesting, thank you for the report and willingness to help in testing
to fix this problem.  AFAIK there are currently no pending kernel
patches heading toward upstream, but it should be possible to fix your
problem if we manage to get the fix into the upstream kernel within the
next few days.  The timetable before Test3 is very short, so we may need
to target this fix for FC3 final.

Please talk directly with Markus Lidel and send him as much information
as possible.  It would help immensely if you could install FC3 onto an
IDE disk and allow him to ssh into the machine, so he can test candidate
fixes directly on your hardware.  He fixed 64bit I2O issues quickly by
logging into my dual Opteron + I2O box.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com