i2o - problems with controllers with additional memory (from fedora-list)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 12:36:42 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:46:56PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
>
>>Please talk directly with Markus Lidel and send him as much information
>>as possible.  It would help immensely if you could install FC3 onto an
>>IDE disk and allow him to ssh into the machine, so he can test candidate
>>fixes directly on your hardware.  He fixed 64bit I2O issues quickly by
>>logging into my dual Opteron + I2O box.
>

> That one isn't a Markus problem, its one for Arjan. There is a limited amount
> of ioremap space (how much varies) and for I2O you really do need to ioremap
> all the controller memory. A 128Mb I2O card combined with a 128Mb video card
> eats a lot of 32bit address space.

Arjan just said he's considering bumping up the ioremap space for future
kernels, pending some discussion with other kernel people.  It would be
very helpful if you could install FC3 onto an IDE disk in preparation
for testing of these future kernels.  We will need to test both the i686
with 4G/4G split (384MB ioremap), and i586 (196MB ioremap).  If you know
how to modify & build your own kernels you could test this yourself
without waiting for us if you boot from an IDE disk.

Unfortunately the installer uses the i586 kernel in order to accomodate
older hardware, so hopefully the i586 increase will be enough to make it
work.  This unfortunately may be impossible to work if you have two
cards or more with large amounts of onboard memory, if I understand the
situation correctly.  You mention you had 256MB of memory for the cards
too?  It would be interesting to hear at what level it fails.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com