fc3t2: mkbootdisk does not work with floppy disk

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Mon Sep 20 23:11:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:58:50AM +0200, D. Stolte wrote:
> i should have mentioned that i know that the files are too big. but why
> does mkbootdisk
> a) write to floppy despite this fact
> b) does not tell the user that floppy does not work and he should use
> the iso option instead?

* some floppies should have sufficient size (2880 KB)
* some devices aren't floppies but can use the same method for being
  made bootable
* unix tools tend to believe the administrator, and don't get in the way

> i just had a talk with a newbie who wanted to test fc3t2 and he ran into
> this problem. i think it is not too hard to put a line like "if $dev =
> /dev/fd*" then ... in it to prevent this.

I don't see why would a newbie have to run mkbootdisk at all, but at
least he must have learnt something. :)

Regards,
Luciano Rocha