fc3t2: mkbootdisk does not work with floppy disk

D. Stolte lnxxprt at arcor.de
Mon Sep 20 23:30:35 UTC 2004

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha schrieb:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:58:50AM +0200, D. Stolte wrote:
>
>>i should have mentioned that i know that the files are too big. but why
>>does mkbootdisk
>>a) write to floppy despite this fact
>>b) does not tell the user that floppy does not work and he should use
>>the iso option instead?
>

> * some floppies should have sufficient size (2880 KB)
the standard pc you buy around the corner did/does usually not have such
a floppy.

> * some devices aren't floppies but can use the same method for being
>   made bootable
via /dev/fdX ?

> * unix tools tend to believe the administrator, and don't get in the way
sometimes they should! you do check for error conditions in programs too
dont you? everything else is an ugly hack.

>>i just had a talk with a newbie who wanted to test fc3t2 and he ran into
>>this problem. i think it is not too hard to put a line like "if $dev =
>>/dev/fd*" then ... in it to prevent this.
>

> I don't see why would a newbie have to run mkbootdisk at all, but at
> least he must have learnt something. :)
there are some ppl out there who are annoyed by the monopoly OS and they
try linux. and they follow the guides and howtos they find like this newbie.
he was advised to make a bootdisk to be on the safe side. the guides and
the usage print of mkbootdisk show a floppy device to use. so guess what
newbies do?

/ds