Does udev make system unbootable?

Mark Taylor mt at mp3dev.org
Sun Sep 19 05:40:58 UTC 2004

Am Freitag, den 17.09.2004, 22:19 -0700 schrieb Chris Ha:
> I think I got udev package onto my fc3 t1 box by
> updating all the packages from yesterday(09/17/04)'s
> development tree. After that, it manages my system
> unbootable as below.
>
> At boot message :
> warning : unable to open an initial console
> (just 2 more lines about SElinux - I don't recall)
>
> after these messages, booting process hangs there.
>
> If someone knows about how to fix, could you please
> help me out?
>
> I have checked /dev directory using Knoppix, and seems
> like many of device files are not there. I'd like to
> know how to fix, specially with Knoppix if possible,
> of course other ways of fixing are welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> atie

I had the exact same problem with 2.6.8-1.541:  ran uptodate on 9/18/04, and my
system would no longer boot, with a "unable to open an initial console"
error message.

I was able to recover by booting knoppix, chroot to my FC3 instalation,
and then running Mike Klinke's suggestion:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8-1.541.img 2.6.8-1.541

I had to use knoppix, because if I try to boot from the FC3-test1 disk
in rescue mode, it detects an error after asking about the keyboard and
then shutsdown before I can get a prompt.

Mark