Drive icons (FC3t2 fresh install)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Sep 21 09:17:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, David Zeuthen wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:12 +0100, PFJ wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My system has multiple drives attached (dev/hda -> dev/hdh). I currently
> > have /dev/hdb1 as /home, /dev/hdb2 as /MP3, dev/hdg1 as /Programming,
> > dev/hdg2 as /web and dev/hdh1 as /backup. These are entered in fstab and
> > all work quite merrily.
> >
> > I have found something annoying though.
> >

> What're you're seeing now is just stock GNOME VFS.

On a similar note: on my testbox a windows partition (vfat) on the system
(/dev/hdaX) appears on the desktop as an icon with a name "idedisk" which
doesn't mean anything at all to somebody who doesn't know what "IDE"
means. And in any case I don't really see all the partitions on the system
on my *desktop* - inside the "Computer" window, why not.

> > On my desktop, I have icons for all of these directories - they
> > shouldn't be there and neither should an icon for /media/idedisk1 (/dev/
> > hda1).
> >
> > What do I change in fstab so they don't appear? While a link to the MP3
> > directory is okay, I certainly don't want other users being able to
> > access the other mounts. For the production version, I would seriously
> > consider not having them being visible.
> >

> This will be addressed in Rawhide shortly with GNOME VFS using a patch
> to query hal what the drives/volumes are capable of (e.g. their volume
> label, make, size, whether they're hotpluggable, whether they use
> removable media etc etc). Here's an early screenshot of what it might
> look like

Ok if nonremovable media stops from appearing on the desktop then I've no
further complaints wrt this.

	- Panu -