Install information for FC3T2

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Sep 22 04:48:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 20:15 -0700, James C. Bevier wrote:
> > > My biggest problem was with the kernel source.  Where is
> > > it?  I want to install vmware, but no source is there.  Any solution for
> > > this?
> >
> > There is no kernel-source(code) rpm any longer.  Lots of discussion
> > about that in the devel list. Here's the summary... the kernel rpms
> > "should" now contain the extra bits to rebuild addon modules against
> > the binary kernel provided. If you need to rebuild a full kernel tree
> > from source  you need to download the actual kernel srpm and rebuild
> > from that. I'm pretty sure ive seen explicit instructions posted on
> > the devel list or the test list about how to do specific things with
> > the src.rpm.
>
> I would assume you need a new vmware that know about the new source?

You should not need anything special as long as VMware was using the
sources correctly before.. however they probably were not.  The sources
should have been accessed from the /lib/modules/<kernel-ver>/build
directory, which now contains the necessary info (this used to be a
symlink to the actual sources directory).  Instead, they may have jumped
directly to the sources at /usr/src/linux-<kernel-ver>.  You'll probably
have to get a fix from VMware, or rebuild your own kernel--hopefully the
srpm still has the ability to generate the standard old kernel-ourcecode
rpm for situations like this even though it is not generally needed.

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lordmorgul on irc.freenode.net