Up2date errors

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 22 22:40:18 UTC 2004

> > I don't understand, how can some of us being having this problem, and
> > not all? I did 3 installs, all with everything. but yet, none of my
> > machines can get these updates with out erroring out.
> > I don't think upgrading gcc is going to fix the problem ( as shown
> > below) can anyone tell me why we are having this problem? and if
> > possible, a way to solve it?

Not everyone installs every package, in fact it is sensible only to
install the packages or groups of packages you actually need. And unless
you are keen to test the latest development compilers you don't need gcc4.

> >> That doesn't solve the dependency problem:
> >> [root at gstpc gerry]# up2date gcc4 gcc4-c++
> >> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/fedora-core-rawhide
> >> using mirror:
> >> http://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/
> >>
> >> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: fedora-core-rawhide...
> >>
> >> Fetching rpm headers...
> >> ########################################
> >>
> >> Name                                    Version        Rel
> >> gcc4                                    4.0.0
> >> 0.2               i386
> >> gcc4-c++                                4.0.0
> >> 0.2               i386
> >>

> >> Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
> >> There was a package dependency problem. The message was:
> >>
> >> Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> >> gcc35-gfortran-3.5.0-0.9                 requires gcc35 = 3.5.0-0.9
> >> java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-1jpp       requires libgcj = 3.4.1
> >>
> >> Any other suggestions?  There are a lot of packages caught in
> >> dependency issues in rawhide.

I was expecting you to add other packages to the line to solve
dependencies as you needed them, eg.
up2date gcc4 gcc4-c++ gcc4-gfortran
but you are probably stuck until a rebuilt version of
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-1jpp linked against gcc 3.4.2 comes out.

	Michael Young