release notes section on fonts for FC3t2

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 23 09:50:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Owen Taylor wrote:

> What fc-cache /.fonts does is update the cache in ~/.fonts. You could
                ^
                "~"  i'm assuming you really meant to have a "~" there

> just run fc-cache and it would:
>
> - Try to update the system cache directories, and fail
> - Update ~/.fonts
>
> Running fc-cache on the directory directly is just a bit more
> efficient. The search path for fontconfig is set
> from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, in this case:
>
>        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

(i suspect this is more a general FC issue than a test issue, but i
started it here, so i might just as well finish it here.)

on my new FC3t2 system, i just checked /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, and the
font dirs listed there are (based on a fresh install):

   /usr/share/fonts
   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF
   ~/.fonts

so, i'm assuming that if i just run "fc-cache", that would update the
font cache files in *all* of those dirs (well, if i run it as a normal
user, it would fail for the first three due to permission violations,
but succeed for the last one, right?)

if i run fc-cache with a specific directory, it will just update the
font cache file in *that* directory.

if this is true, how could i add a new font directory to my system?
i would have suspected just adding another directory entry to
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf, but that file quite clearly says "DO NOT EDIT".
and the only commands that come with the fontconfig RPM are fc-cache
and fc-list -- nothing that suggests adding a new directory.

rday

>> p.s.  i did note that (at least on my FC2 system, FC3t2 system is
>> still installing so it might not be the same there), the man page for
>> fc-cache suggests to "SEE ALSO: fontconfig(3)".  there is no such man
>> page (although, as i said, this is what i'm reading on my FC2 system,
>> so it might very well have changed for FC3t2.  i just can't check that
>> for about the next 1/2 hour.)
>
> I think it's an upstream man page bug. If you want to file it in
> bugzilla.freedesktop.org, that would be useful. The main fontconfig
> docs got split into lots of little pieces.

there are a number of bugs in the fc-cache man page.

1) reference to non-existent "fontconfig(3)"
2) reference to filename "fonts.cache" when in fact it's
    "fonts.cache-1"
3) no mention whatever of various fc-cache options (--verbose,
    --force, etc)

   i'll file this stuff.