what's happened to the kernel-sourcecode RPM.

James Olin Oden joden at lee.k12.nc.us
Thu Sep 23 11:54:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:29:23PM +0200, Bjorn Andersen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > How is it possible to build the Nvidia driver agaist the kernel.src?
>
> No.
>
> Nor can you build it against kernel-sourcecode for that matter.
>
> You can only build against the headers in /lib/modules/`uname `r/build, just
> like it was the case ever since RHL 7.0.
> (except that now the cheat of using another location no longer works)

Note, this assumes you are building driver for the machine you are running
on.   If your building drivers for multiple kernels, building them using
the include directory in a configured kernel source tree instead of having
to actually have each of the kernels installed is much better.  I have
built various build tools to support doing this for kernel modules in a
completely automated way.  So when we update the kernels in our one-off
wonder distribution we just turn the crank and out pops module rpms for
all of our modules for each of the kernels in the distribution.

 > > Why is the kernel-sourcecode left out?
>
> because it is redundant and mostly pointless. We don't ship
> openoffice-source code either, right?

Actually, its quite usefull in the case above.  I can get to the same
place with a SRPM, but I have to go through a few extra steps.  What was
nice about the kernel-source rpm was that it contained the "patched"
version of the sources with various default redhat configs in the config
directory.   Use rpm2cpio to plop this down where you want, copy in the
proper config (or your own), and point your module sources at this kernel
source tree, and your done.

Cheers...james