FC3T2 startup - Starting smartd [Failed]

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 23 17:34:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 10:09, Gerry Tool wrote:
> During FC3T2 boot up, I get the message that Starting smartd failed.  Do
> others see this?
>
> It starts fine when I boot to FC2.

Are the /etc/smartd.conf files for the two installations different?
If you don't specify any disks in that file, smartd scans the IDE bus
but quits as soon as it finds a disk that is not S.M.A.R.T. capable.
this can e.g. be an optical drive. If the first drive it finds is not
S.M.A.R.T. capable, it exits and gives you the failure message.

You can try putting a listing of your hard disks in /etc/smartd.conf ;
the default (completely commented out) config file should have enough
tips to figure out what you need to put in there. Or if you don't care
about monitoring your disk health,just forget about it, maybe
chkconfig smartd off
so you don't get the annoying failure on startup. But don't blame me
when your hard disks crash without warning you first! ;) (In all
honesty, I'm not all that convinced that S.M.A.R.T. monitoring really
does all that much good - are most disk failures gradual or
catastrophic? I'd assume that S.M.A.R.T. can only help you detect the
former...)

Cheers,
Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University