what's happened to the kernel-sourcecode RPM.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Sep 23 18:29:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:31:55PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:29:23PM +0200, Bjorn Andersen wrote:
> > How is it possible to build the Nvidia driver agaist the kernel.src?
>
> No.
>
> Nor can you build it against kernel-sourcecode for that matter.

I wonder how I provide such packages for two years now ...
(discussed on fedora-devel two months ago)

> You can only build against the headers in /lib/modules/`uname `r/build, just
> like it was the case ever since RHL 7.0.
> (except that now the cheat of using another location no longer works)
>
> > Why is the kernel-sourcecode left out?
>
> because it is redundant and mostly pointless. We don't ship
> openoffice-source code either, right?

Hm, one of the posters wanted to patch his kernel, another to
configure it.

There aren't really that many patches for openoffice, nor is the
configuration space of openoffice or any other package near that big
as the kernel's. Obviously the use of the kernel sources and
openoffice sources is quite different, and so is the need for it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net