SCSI DVD drive not recognized on fc3-t2 kernel 2.6.8-1.584

Allen Kistler an037-0m26i at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 04:39:43 UTC 2004

Timothy Sandel wrote:
> sr_mod wasn't loaded.  Didn't this use to load automagically?
>
> On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 10:43 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>
>>Timothy Sandel wrote:
>>
>>>My scsi dvd-rom is not recognized.  Hanging off an Adaptec 29260
>>>controller.  Any suggestions.
>>>
>>>Timothy
>>
>>How do you know? Did you load the sr_mod module? Did you look in
>>/proc/scsi/scsi ?

FWIW, I see similar behavior.  I think the more accurate statement is
that entries in /dev are not created for SCSI CD-ROMS.  I can create
them manually with MAKEDEV and they work, but they disappear after a
reboot.  I'm uncertain if I should blame hal, kudzu, or udev.

It all worked with whatever versions got packaged into initrd for kernel
build 534.

Perhaps a related problem is that gnome-cd refuses to deal with audio
CDs in the CD drive.  I've got a Plextor CD-R attached to an Adaptec 29320.