Box from hell testing for FC3t2

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 28 22:06:27 UTC 2004

I loaded FC3 test2 onto the box from hell which is my distribution
torture tester. It failed with flying colours

- FC3t2 base kernel would not boot in standard configuration because
  someone enabled EDD support which crashes it
- The SCSI layer blew up in several ways (#133998, #134001)
- The HAL layer goes bananas (#130649)
- The 3c59x driver breaks (#134000)
- Several of the USB hubs fail to initialize (not bugzilla'd yet need to
   do some debugging).
- Badness in interruptible_sleep_on from lock_down
- PS/2 mouse does not work
- hal_lpadmin is segfaulting randomly
- PCI allocation produced unhappy looking messages
Sep 28 19:27:48 localhost kernel: PCI: Failed to allocate I/O resource #0:80 at b000 for 0000:05:0c.0

etc

It even managed to rename my loopback device eth0 and create devices with
names like dev1536.

To be fair its a pretty brutal test box but the results are not so good as I'd
hoped. Upgrading to a 2.6.9rc2 kernel fixes nothing but breaks r8169 and
via-velocity ethernet drivers too

Alan