crond + pam very noisy

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Wed Sep 29 16:48:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 08:34, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> My logs are getting filled with:
>
> crond[27300]: pam_succeed_if: requirement "uid < 100" was met by user
> "root"

> Not sure which job is doing this, but it is getting noisy.. I dont
> want to think what 2000 machines will do to our central mail and log
> servers :).

As I recall this was added to fix a problem when using LDAP
authentication. Without it if the LDAP server was unreachable even local
logins (i.e. root) were disabled. If you're not using LDAP it is safe to
comment out. There was also talk of adding a "quiet" option to this pam
module, not sure of the status though.

--
Brian Gaynor
Precision MicroControl Corp.