Automated Mirror Selection [Re: Worst experience with Up2Date ever.]

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 20:25:29 UTC 2004

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero said:

[snip]
> The list of mirrors should/could at the very least be a package that
> we can download to get the 'latest set' of behaving mirrors.

The current system of being a text file on a web server seems to have less
maintenance involved.

[snip]
> BTW.  It seems to me that the mirror list is dynamically retrieved during
>  each run of up2date  (true or false)?

True, but...

>  If false, then where is my local
> mirror list stored?  (so I can get rid of that damn 'muohio'!)

Reading /usr/share/doc/up2date-4.3.19/mirrors.txt can be enlightening.
You can have a local file if you want.

I always assumed that the default config was to get people to quit
hammering the main server and that advanced users (the ones that
configured mirrors before) would change the settings to their liking.
Isn't that the reason there are text files for different geographical
regions?

If a had a small number of machines I would go with the list of mirrors on
each machine.  For a larger number of machines I would go with the mirror
list stored on a local web server so that it can be easily changed for all
(or run your own local mirror).

[snip]
>  For the forseable future I don't think a mirror will be
>  'constantly' in flux.
[snip]

Rawhide not being in constant flux means that development has stopped.
Not a good sign.

--
William Hooper