Automated Mirror Selection [Re: Worst experience with Up2Date ever.]

Andrew W. Donoho awd at DDG.com
Thu Sep 30 17:46:15 UTC 2004

On Sep 30, 2004, at 12:20, seth vidal wrote:
>> Potential two part answer:
>> a) Point yum to a local repository.
>> b) Fill that repository via a daily torrent of upgraded Rawhide
>> RPMs.Change the .torrent
>> document daily. Probably a straightforward scripting problem.
>
> A torrent of ALL of rawhide is 50+GB of disk space.

Please read what I wrote - "a daily torrent of upgraded Rawhide RPMs".
Nothing in that statement says anyone has to keep them beyond the day
they came out. Nor does it say that every user needs to keep a full
archive of Rawhide.

> You'll never be able to sync it all and most people will be fairly
> pissed about eating up that much space.

See the above comment.

>> Benefits to Redhat:
>> 1) Torrents are, probably, a lower load on your server.
>> 2) Users contribute to solving the problem instead of whining
>> aboutdead mirrors.
>> 3) Eventually move all Fedora users to this model. Make it the
>> default.
>>
>> Benefits to Fedora users:
>> 1) Get relatively rapid access to new RPMs.
> once you get passed all the overhead involved.

This is no different than the delay getting to download updated RPMs
today. Or are you still misreading my above statements and assuming
that I proposed a full backup of Rawhide to each Fedora user?

>> 2) Simple but valuable contribution of bandwidth to the Fedora cause.I
>> know I would feel better getting my updates via a torrent.
>
> How do you separate out your updates from all the other crap?

This will require some scripting on the Redhat side of the repository
but it is something they fully control - yum, up2date, Fedora
Distribution, Rawhide update policies. I think this meets all or most
of Mr. Spaleta's constraints and provides benefits to Redhat and users.

Andrew

Andrew W. Donoho
awd at DDG.com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)