Automated Mirror Selection [Re: Worst experience with Up2Date ever.]

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 30 17:56:55 UTC 2004

> Please read what I wrote - "a daily torrent of upgraded Rawhide
> RPMs".Nothing in that statement says anyone has to keep them beyond
> the daythey came out. Nor does it say that every user needs to keep a
> fullarchive of Rawhide.

A daily torrent only works if everyone is in sync on a day-to-day basis.
Otherwise they'll need to get in sync with any missed days.

Moreover they'll need ALL the packages as an example:

day1: pkgx is shipped
day2: pkgy is shipped
day3: pkgy is updated with a requirement on pkgx

now if you're only getting updates and you're not keeping them where do
you get pkgx from?

> This is no different than the delay getting to download updated
> RPMstoday. Or are you still misreading my above statements and
> assumingthat I proposed a full backup of Rawhide to each Fedora user?

> This will require some scripting on the Redhat side of the
> repositorybut it is something they fully control - yum, up2date,
> FedoraDistribution, Rawhide update policies.

I beg to differ with you. Red Hat does NOT control yum development and
with no offense to the people  at red hat, they've shown remarkably
little mirror guidance or leadership.

>  I think this meets all or mostof Mr. Spaleta's constraints and
> provides benefits to Redhat and users.

Except for the incredible overhead of running a torrent seed on each
client. People always forget that part.

-sv